Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mohiniattam


Hello!

So I'm back from my week in Chennai, and did all my actual work. It was a week full of interviews (and extreme humidity induced insanity). But it was a crazy enlightening week, that probably gave me way too many ideas. My first interview was with Ms. Gopika Varma, a Mohiniattam expert and renowned performer. I had the luck of sitting in on her class and asking her a few questions. I'll elaborate on that in the next post, but I noticed that while Mohiniattam and Bharatanatyam share a base, they differ significantly in execution. The goal of Mohiniattam is for the performer to sway gracefully and hypnotize the audience. The footwork involves a lot more heel and toe work, and lacks the rigidity thats characteristic of classic Bharatanatyam.

I have an awesome video that I took in the class (multiple actually) but the wifi here is spotty at best, so I'll post them when I return next week! Off to pack :/

~Prithvi

No comments:

Post a Comment